Excited to tell you that I’ll be speaking to the Independent Writers of Chicago (IWOC) on Tuesday, March 10th on “Building Your Author Platform.”
Freelancers Building a Platform
- The value of building a platform for freelance journalists
- The value of writing books for freelancers of all kinds
- An overview of the 14 steps to building a platform that Carole Jelen and I detail in our book
- Reminding you why social media is critical in building that audience.
Of course, I’ll take questions, and give away a copy of Build Your Author Platform: The New Rules.
Networking and refreshments start at 5PM at the Gratz Center (Room 4A), 126 E. Chestnut Street, Chicago (just behind the Fourth Presbyterian church pictured below). My part of the program starts at 6PM.
More information and advance registration for the event at the IWOC website.
Look forward to meeting more readers, and writers.
Related: Surprise from SlideShare
This morning I got an email from SlideShare telling me that my presentations were in the top 25% most-viewed on the site in 2014. The top two slide decks were:
- my LinkedIn presentation to the Wisconsin chapter of the Society for Technical Communication (STC) in September, and
- my Open Source Tools for User Assistance presentation from the 2009 WritersUA conference
Yep, you read that last one right. My five-year-old talk did nearly as well in page views as my most recent outing. For that, I thank (again) my Aussie conference buddy Sarah Maddox. She was in my audience that day in 2009. Last February she was gracious enough to include the deck in her “Super Useful List” of technical writing tools. One of these days, I need to update that deck…
Let me also point out that the LinkedIn presentation also received a terrific boost from the Washington, DC chapter of STC.
All that to say that my IWOC slides will also be available at SlideShare after the talk. Feel free to share the deck with your readers too.